Sunday, October 7, 2007

Royalties!

It's October, which means it's royalty statement time! My agent just sent me the statements for both of my Llewellyn books, Attack of the Intergalactic Soul Hunters and Epoch, for the period of January to June 2007. Soul Hunters continues to sell, with a further 178 copies flying out of stores and into eager readers' hands. That will earn me very nearly $50. Not exactly fantastic or awesome, but a lot better than no sales at all.

Epoch sold only 57 copies, which had me bummed until I remembered the statement only covered the January to June period. Epoch hit stores in June but didn't officially launch until July, so most of those sales were pre-orders! I heard that Andrew, the acquisitions editor at Llewellyn, is "quite pleased" with how the book is doing, so I can't wait to see the next statement!

Speaking of Andrew, he and I are going to chat tomorrow about my newest book, The Right Hand of Evil. I learned from my agent that he really enjoyed reading the book, even though he thought it had the "least salable premise" of all time. Given that the novel is about a gay teenage boy who becomes a social pariah after he is caught masturbating, I can understand where he's coming from. However, I still feel certain that the controversial subject matter will only make the book irresistible. I just have to convince Andrew of that.

5 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

Fifty dollars in royalties? That is a lot when you think that I've never earned more than $5.93 in royalties!

Unknown said...

Hey, every $50 counts!

PippaW said...

October the royalty month, I like it! 50$ is quite a start, sweet!

I love the story of The Right Hand of Evil, but the hand in the title has a link with the masturbation...? I love your fantasy!

Saints and Spinners said...

Is the Right Hand of Evil an homage (or satire) of Left Hand of Darkness?

Timothy Carter said...

No, Alkelda, I've never read Left Hand and wasn't trying to spoof that. It just seemed the perfect title for the book.

How's this for a tagline... Next Summer, Things Get Out Of Hand!