Monday, February 26, 2007

Ad Astra Anticipation

The first time I attended Ad Astra, Toronto's annual science fiction convention, I was a fan still trying to break into the business. Last year, I attended as a published novelist. Finally I was on the other side of the author's table, and it felt great. I spoke on two panels: Delivering on the Promise of Your Novel, and Get That Novel Finished. I rubbed shoulders with the likes of Terry Brooks and Games Alan Gardner, I trashed The Hobbit (not the whole book, just the bit with the dragon), and I sold 25 copies of my first novel, Attack of the Intergalactic Soul Hunters. Not a bad weekend at all.

This weekend, I will return to Ad Astra to launch Section K, my first book for the grown up market. And I can hardly wait! I can't get over the fact that an event at Ad Astra will be all about me! It's exciting, but a little frightning, too. This is my big chance to promote myself and my work. What if I screw it up? What if I read out the book's best jokes and nobody laughs? Okay, I know that makes me sound really insecure, but this is a really big deal for me.

First, I've got to pick a good section from Section K to read. I'm not worried about speaking in public - I've done plenty of spoken word over the last several years, so I can keep my ums and ahhs and duhs to a minimum. My wife, Violet, will be there, as will my publisher (and friend) Monica Bentz, so I'll have all the support I need.

What's more, we'll have buttons! Monica just told me today we'll have about 200 buttons to give away, which means even more promotion for me! Like I said, exciting but a little frightening. I'm not used to all this attention. Will I be able to handle it?

Stay tuned. I'll update this blog next week with news from the convention.

- Timothy Carter

No comments: