Monday, August 20, 2007

Is It August Already?

Yes, apparently it is. Blogging has taken a real back seat for me lately. I've been working in a mailroom, which involves a lot more rushing around than I'm used to. I enjoy the work more than most other jobs I've done, but when I come home the last thing on my mind is blogging.

The past year has been a real test for me. I went from one job I didn't like into one that started well but quickly went to hell. My cat, the Moosh, passed away, and I went through four months of unemployment. I made a commitment to being positive, and found that promise harder and harder to keep.

This should have been a great year for me - Violet and I celebrated our second year as a married couple, and I launched not one but two novels. Today, my niece Imogen turns 2. Plus, I have an adorable kitten. And there's finally a live-action Transformers movie (I've seen it three times, so far). There's not a whole lot to be miserable about.

I've read The Secret and many books like it, and have seen evidence that positive thoughts can change a person's world for the better. So why is it so hard for me to be positive?

Today started badly - I was in a horrible mood, for no obvious reason. I spent my writing time just staring at my notebook, not even wanting to open it. Then, as the day wore on, I started to feel better. Then I felt depressed that I let myself fall so far.

This is the challenge for me, for this stage of my life. I have all the tools I need to conquer my sadness. I just need to learn how to use them.

Woah. I didn't intend for this post to get so depressing when I started - I just wanted to do a simple update. I promise my next post will be more uplifting, and fun.

No comments: